Play, Eat, Sleep
Get Outside & Explore the ‘green’ places committed to protecting Lake Simcoe!
Lake Simcoe offers loads of outdoor recreation for the whole family to enjoy. Explore activities with a low impact on the environment. Choose to know your travel dollars are benefiting the local communities you visit.
Our goal is to encourage business owners to green their operations. We are not a certification body, but we are here to assist and celebrate the people and places taking steps to go green!
TOP 5 THINGS TO DO:
- Take GO Transit to Barrie for a day trip to enjoy the many summer activities Lake Simcoe has to offer. Try stand up paddle boarding, kayaking and canoeing on the beautiful waters of Kempenfelt Bay. Rent everything you need from Without a Paddle or take a lesson with HappyPaddling.com.
- Cycle on any of the many trails found in Barrie and Simcoe County. You can find trails that suit your experience level on Barrie By Bike, Cycle Simcoe and Tourism Simcoe County.
- Buy and eat local! Pick up fresh produce to eat at one of Lake Simcoe area’s many farmers’ markets. Make sure to check out chefs’ creations on August 28th at Savour Simcoe, a local agri-culinary event. The kids will enjoy one of the many fun farm activities happening this summer! Want to pick your own? Check out Simcoe County Farm Fresh for a full list of farms in the area and what they have available.
- Up for an adventure? The 28km Oro-Medonte Rail Trail from Barrie to Orillia is great for hiking and cycling. Good for all ages, this easy trail provides the outdoor enthusiast ample opportunity to take in beautiful views of Lake Simcoe.
- Take in a Festival. Head to Orillia for the Mariposa Folk Festival is a leader in festival ‘greening’ initiatives’. Enjoy songs, stories, dances and crafts on July 8th – 10th, 2016 in Tudhope Park. Find out how you can be a greener festival goer at: A Guide to Green Festivals.